Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Hall Calls Hawk

Ok, I lied about the Phillies... But I will get to that soon. The BBWAA announced the results of its annual Hall of Fame voting this afternoon, with Andre Dawson the only candidate earning the requisite 75% of the votes required for induction in 2010.

If you read my earlier Hall of Fame post, you'll find that I voted for five men in a mock election through the Baseball Bloggers Alliance, none of whom is Andre Dawson.

By all accounts, 'The Hawk' is a good man, and certainly a worthy candidate for the Hall. He did not make my ballot, but he didn't make a lot of other either. And I'm certainly not bitter about Dawson being elected, even though I didn't support his candidacy.

What I do hope, though, is that Dawson's election gives us a bit of perspective on players who played in the 1980's and early 90's whose numbers don't like quite as good next to the offensive explosion of the late 90's and 2000's. Barry Larkin and Tim Raines, I'm talking about you, and to a lesser extent, Dale Murphy.

In any event, congrats to Andre Dawson as the lone player elected to the Hall of Fame in 2010 by the BBWAA.

No comments:

Post a Comment