Saturday, June 6, 2009

Observations from Around the AL

-Boston might be better off just releasing David Ortiz. I'm not buying that his eyes are the issue. To be where they are while getting zero out of one of their big boppers is a real credit to that whole organization.

-Nick Green is not a good enough shortstop to keep playing for the Sawx.

-The Yankees can hit the ball, and Sabathia, Burnett and Pettitte give them a chance. I'm still (very) skeptical of their ability to get the ball to Mariano Rivera, unless one of the aforementioned hands it straight to him.

-Return to reality for the Rays. Turns out trading Edwin Jackson wasn't such a great idea.

-I like some of the pieces the Orioles have (Markakis, Adam Jones, Matt Wieters). They have zero pitching though. It looks like the beltway has been completely drained of viable pitching between the O's and the Nats.

-I kind of hope the Jays stay in it with the big boys in Boston and New York. Anytime we can see more of Roy Halladay, it's a good thing.

-Cleveland has a ton of injuries, and with that we can't really tell what they are. Cliff Lee has been better lately after a rough first few outings.

-Edwin Jackson has been huge for the Tigers. If they can continue to get anything at all out of Dontrelle Willis, it could be a big break for them. Fernando Rodney is looking good, and Joel Zumaya might be back at some point. I'll believe the thing about Zumaya when I see it.

-After being spurned by Jake Peavy, I would expect the White Sox to still be players for a big-time arm. I don't think they're any good, but Ken Williams doesn't just sit around and wait for something to happen.

-Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer might be the best duo in the Majors that the nation doesn't know enough about. They're both great players and fun to watch.

-I hope Kansas City can continue to develop some good young players, and unlike Pittsburgh, keep them. I saw Mike Moustakous in Wilmington (A) a few weeks back, and he sure seems primed to become a good one.

-Seattle has apparently put Eric Bedard on the market. Good luck trying to get an Adam Jones level prospect back. I could make a dopey analogy to investing in General Motors or some other company that's gone in the tank in the last year and a half, but I won't.

-Kelvim Escobar made a start for the Angels this week. Is it just me, or does it seem like the last time he started, Mike Witt pitched the next day.

-Matt Holiday said he wouldn't mind if the A's traded him. Translation: Get me out of here now.

-Vicente Padilla is a nut. He could never put it together in Philadelphia, and just looks like the type of guy that will never get it. He's a pitching Carl Everett, if you will.

-Hurry back, Josh Hamilton. Everything is more fun when you're around. What a talent. I'm so happy that not even drug addiction and years of waywardness have sapped his God-given abilities. And with a great message of hope and redemption to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment